Welcome to Zingcreed, the unique Christian/Atheist blog where I think aloud about religion and life.
How can you be Christian and Atheist?
I don’t believe in the literal existence of God. I do believe there was a real man called Yeshu (Jesus) who was a sage worth listening to today.
Who writes Zingcreed?
One man, a retired science teacher from North London.
What’s your USP?
I can say things about the Bible, Jesus and the church that Christians can’t say. No topic is out of bounds, nothing is sacred, yet I never try to upset people gratuitously. For example my letters to the pope are very polite. Also, I reckon that as religious blogs go, this is the only one that has more questions than answers, and any ‘answers’ you find here should be considered provisional.
What have been the major influences on you in writing this blog?
(1) My annoyance at the church as I see it, for not taking Jesus and his teachings seriously.
(2) The intellectual dishonesty of many on the Conservative wing of the church, e.g. the alpha course.
(3) Liberation Theology and my belief that it is as relevant for the world today as it was for Latin America in the 1970s.
(4) The Jesus Seminar: their work has enabled me to propose my theory of the Residual Jesus with the gold nuggets of his authentic Wisdom teaching.
(5) The third Quest for the Historical Jesus, especially thinkers like Cupitt, Boulton, Funk, Galston and Geering.
(6) The new wave of atheist apologists like Richard Dawkins whom I admire enormously.
Zingcreed aims to bring these disparate views together; to explain them in layman’s terms (assuming I can understand them in the first place!); and to pop them in the kitchen blender together and see what comes out!
Do you produce written literature or run a campaign?
No. But I will give talks to groups. Zingcreed is not copyright.
How did you start?
I was reacting against the Alpha course I attended in the autumn of 2012, and to things people said on it. I felt the need for another approach to Jesus, one that took modern scholarship into account, and was intellectually honest.
So you have an ax to grind?
I am politically left wing. I think Jesus was too. I am looking for convergences between Jesus’s teachings and those of other great radical thinkers and activists in history such as Marx, Tolstoy, Gandhi and Martin Luther King. I have a long way to go.
What qualifications do you have to write a blog on religion?
None. I don’t aim to say anything original though, I just paraphrase what others are saying.
“I hope you get something out of Zingcreed. You can get in touch any time but I don’t guarantee to answer quickly.”
Peter Turner, M.A., M.Sc.
Related Zingcreed Posts:
The thinking behind the Zing creed
A Christian-Atheist manifesto with Zing! (aka the Zingcreed)
Throwing the baby out with the bathwater
Nuggets gleaned from “jesusite” websites
The default position, a brief argument for atheism
522: Is God subjective or objective? Why I left the church.