“A warm welcome to Zingcreed, the blog which tries to understand religious activities and sometimes fails. Fasting is a case in point. I’ve never fasted and don’t intend to do so any time soon – I like my food too much! I’ve been reading about Lent, Ramadan and Hindu fasting as well. I’m not going to spell out what I discovered; you can find out all about the supposed spiritual benefits of fasting on line, as I did. Suffice it to say, as an atheist who doesn’t accept the existence of ” the spiritual” there can be only biological gains or losses from this counterintuitive activity.
If you try fasting perhaps you should check with your GP first.
Here are some supposed non-spiritual benefits of fasting. This could be useful or it could be a load of rubbish – I have no idea.
- Slows down the ageing process
- Can help you beat addictions
- It’s a great way to start a healthy diet
- Raises insulin sensitivity
- Can normalise food cravings
- Promotes fat burning process
- It clears the skin and whitens the eyes
- Reduces cholesterol levels and high blood pressure
- It can regenerate immune cells.
Related Zingcreed Post:
282: Zingcreed on Ramadan