Just Jesus, No God!
According to the Jesus Seminar:
- Jesus of Nazareth was born during the reign of Herod the Great.
- His mother’s name was Mary, and he had a human father whose name may not have been Joseph.
- Jesus was born in Nazareth not in Bethlehem.
- Jesus was an itinerant sage who shared meals with social outcasts.
- Jesus practiced healing, without the use of ancient medicine or magic, relieving afflictions we now consider psychosomatic.
- He did not walk on water, feed the multitude with loaves and fishes, change water into wine, or raise Lazarus from the dead.
- Jesus was arrested in Jerusalem and crucified by the Romans.
- He was executed as a public nuisance, not for claiming to be the Son of God.
- The empty tomb is a fiction – Jesus did not rise bodily from the dead.
- Belief in the resurrection is based on the visionary experiences of Peter, Paul, and Mary.
Source: Funk, R.W. & the Jesus Seminar “The Acts of Jesus. The search for the authentic deeds of Jesus” Polebridge Press, Harper/San Francisco (1998) inside front cover.